Master Home Builder
Set yourself apart, become a Master Home Builder
Our highly regarded Master Home Builder designation makes a powerful statement about your commitment to professionalism, performance, education and exceptional customer service. Elevate your reputation in the competitive new home marketplace and become a Master Home Builder.
To qualify for the Master Home Builder designation, you must:
- Be currently employed by a home building company that is a member in good standing with The Alberta New Home Warranty Program, and
- be a member in good standing with a local home building association, and
- have been employed in a senior decision-making role for a minimum of 5 years, and
- have successfully completed all of the required courses and elective courses (equivalent to the Residential Management Certification)
- have successfully complete 16 hours of continuing education annually
The following required courses can be completed in any order*:
- Building Codes (National Building Code 2019 Alberta Edition)
- Business & Management Fundamentals
- Communication and Negotiation
- Customer Service Professional
- Estimating Single-Family Homes
- Finance and Accounting
- Law Fundamentals for the Home Building Industry
- Moisture Control Technician Certificate of Completion [two courses, offered through the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT)]
- New Home Marketing
- Five elective courses**
* Generally speaking, courses can be completed in any order. However, if you're new to the construction industry, it's highly recommended that you complete Construction Fundamentals (RCSM Level 1) as one of your elective courses prior to beginning any other construction course. Though it's not a required course, if you have no familiarity with reading blueprints, you’ll need to complete the Plans, Specifications and Drawings course as one of your electives before beginning the Estimating for Single-Family Homes course.
** Excluding Construction Performance Guidelines, Energy Code, and our Construction Technology course online portion.
Continuing education requirements
To maintain your Master Home Builder designation, we require that you complete 16 hours of continuing education annually. Proof of attendance must accompany the application and renewal forms. To satisfy the continuing education requirement, you must:
- Successfully complete any PHBI or industry-related course, seminar, or conference; or
- continuing education courses associated with a professional designation; or
- general professional development training; or
- completion of an executive level course offered at an advanced educational learning institution.
How to apply
If you meet the qualification criteria and have successfully completed the required courses, you can apply to become a Master Home Builder. To maintain your designation, you must renew your application annually and pay the annual renewal fee.
- PHBI Accredited Master Home Builder Application (Individual)
- PHBI Accredited Master Home Builder Application (Company)
- $175+ GST (CAD) annually (individual)
- $50+ GST (CAD) annually (company*)
Lapsed Master Home Builder designation
Failure to meet any of the following will result in a lapsed Master Home Builder designation:
- Failure to renew the designation annually
- Failure to pay the annual membership renewal fee.
- You are no longer employed by a company who is a member of The Alberta New Home Warranty Program.
- You are no longer employed by a company who has a membership with a local home builder association.
- You do not have 5 years experience in a senior decision-making role.
- You have not completed 16 hours of continuing education annually.
For your Master Home Builder designation to be reinstated, you must:
- Review the Master Home Builder designation requirements and ensure they are all met.
- Request to have your designation reinstated by contacting us.
- Fill out the renewal forms and pay the membership fees.
Master Home Builder Directory
The following companies hold Master Home Builder designations in good standing.
Calgary & area
- Cedarglen Homes
- Davinci Homes
- Douglas Homes
- Goldmark Homes
- Harder Homes Master Builder
- Hopewell Residential
- Homes by Avi
- Homes by Us
- Klair Custom Homes Ltd.
- Lionsworth Homes
- Matisse Homes Inc.
- McKee Homes
- Sterling Homes
- Truman Homes
Edmonton & area
- Caliber Master Builder
- Canyon Spring Master Builder
- Concept Homes
- Coventry Home
- Daytona Homes
- De Waal Developments
- Gannet Homes Master Builder
- Hager Developments
- Impact Homes
- Innovation Plus Developments Ltd
- Jayman BUILT
- Jordan Homes
- Kimberley Homes
- Landmark Homes
- Legacy Signature Homes
- Lincolnberg Master Builder
- Meridian Master Builders
- Montorio Homes Ltd.
- Pacesetter Homes
- Zetsen Master Builders