Construction Technology 1
Explore the crucial details of new home construction including materials, methods, engineered building components, mechanical systems, electrical systems, plumbing systems and exterior finishes.
Knowledge & Skill Building Areas
- Overview of types of loads and load transfer, types of footings, measurements - imperial and metric system
- Overview on foundation components including piles, grade beams, insulated concrete forms, preserved wood foundations, slab-on-grade foundations, crawl spaces, damp proofing, waterproofing and alternative foundations
- Overview on wood construction, concrete construction, steel construction, steel framing considerations, multi-unit building construction, roof construction and other components
- Exterior Components
- Overview on windows and doors, heat loss from windows and doors, managing heat gain from windows and doors, roofing material and clouding material.
- Mechanical & Electrical Systems
- Overview on comfortable environment, indoor air quality, air temperature, mean radiant temperature, relative humidity, air movement, effective temperature, heating systems, convection heating systems, gas fired space heating appliance, oil fired space heating appliance, heat pumps, pumping, electrical etc.
- Other Construction Practices
Ideal candidates for taking this course are: Designers, Drafts persons, Inspectors, Site Supervisors, Construction Managers, Warranty Representatives and Technicians, Trades, Suppliers, Support Staff, Customer Service Representatives and Management.
This course is required for the following certifications: Residential Construction Site Manager (RCSM), and is an elective course for Residential Management and Master Home Builder.
This blended e-learning course combines approximately five hours of online learning with two days of classroom learning.
Classroom times: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Classroom locations: This course is delivered by PHBI in Calgary and Edmonton. Courses can also be held in other centers based on demand.
Passing grade: The passing grade is 70% and 100% attendance is compulsory to qualify for PHBI certification.
Prerequisites: For those new to the industry, it is recommended that Construction Fundamentals or RCSM Level 1 and Plans, Specifications and Drawings be taken prior to taking this course.