Land Development Fundamentals in Alberta
Delve into the role and impact of land development on the new home construction industry, particularly in Alberta's single-family home marketplace. In this 21 hour course, you'll explore key topics at each stage in the land development process: Research & Acquisition; Planning, Design & Approvals; Sales & Marketing; and Construction & Completion. While the specifics of land development differ from one municipality to another, the course focuses on the land development fundamentals that tend to remain consistent across different jurisdictions.
Knowledge & Skill Building Areas
Introduction to Land Development
- Land Development basics
- Role of the land Developer
- Relationship between the land developer and the homebuilder
- History of land development within Alberta
Research & Acquisition
- Due diligence process & review of internal & external environment
- Key components related to the external environment
- Financial considerations
- Political considerations including land use, growth policies and the political climate
- Economic considerations including market conditions and market information sources
- Social considerations including issues of sustainability and affordability
- Technological consideration including the concepts of smart homes and smart communities
- Environmental considerations
- Legal considerations
- Key considerations in the acquisition phase
Planning, Design & Approvals
- Relationship between research and planning & design
- Concepts of density and population and their importance
- Basic Design Fundamentals (lots, grading, streets 9roads), parkes & landscaping, water systems, sanitary systems, stormwater management, utilities design, lighting, off-sites, special considerations, connectivity and environmental design.
- Importance of the municipality
- Basic of the overall approvals process
- Outline/Concept step and related topics
- Land Use step and related topics and concepts
- Subdivision step and related topics and concepts
- Importance of streets (roads) including sustainable street network principles and residential street pattern design considerations
Sales & Marketing
- Relationship between sales & marketing and both research and planning & design
- lot pricing, including its nature, importance and its fundamental considerations (pricing system, sales velocity, life cycle and balance).
- Homebuilder selection process including relationship, formula and considerations relevant to both ‘who’ and ‘how many’.
- Contractual requirements related to both the Master (or Standard) Sale & Purchase Agreement and the Short Form Agreement including their timing and important items within each of these documents.
- Architectural controls including their relevance and importance, definition, requirements (guidelines) and how they are protected.
- Lot draw including its definition, timing, due diligence information and its numerous logistics.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the land developer’s role in the marketing of their community.
- Gain a further appreciation for the importance of the Short Form Agreement with a review of a number of relevant additional details.
Construction & Completion
- construction securities requirements including their purpose, provisions, expensive nature and possible differences.
- construction process and its basic steps (site grading, undergrounds and surface improvements).
- completion phase including the related concepts of the CCC, the ‘maintenance period’ (including the issuance of building permits) and the FAC.
Current Events, Trends and a Look Forward
Ideal candidates for taking this course are: Designers, Drafts persons, Inspectors, Site Supervisors, Construction Managers, Warranty Representatives and Technicians, Trades, Suppliers, Support Staff, Sales Professionals, Customer Service Representatives and Management.
This is an elective course for the following certifications: Residential Management and Master Home Builder.
Classroom delivery option:
This instructor-led course involves four days of classroom learning.
Classroom times: 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
100% online delivery option:
This distance learning format provides you with a learning option that caters to your busy schedule by taking the learning experience out of the traditional classroom and converting it into an online format that's available 24/7.
Classroom locations: This course is delivered by PHBI in Calgary and Edmonton. Courses can also be held in other centers based on demand.
Exam & passing grade: The exam for this course is closed book. The passing grade is 70% and 100% attendance when taking the classroom delivery option is compulsory to qualify for PHBI certification.
Prerequisites: There are no prerequisites for this course.