The Professional Home Builders Institute (PHBI) was established in Alberta in 1987, by builders, for builders. Since our inception, we’ve kept pace with the home construction industry’s ever-changing needs by designing and delivering practical education that meets or exceeds the national benchmarks established by the Canadian Home Builders Association.
In British Columbia, PHBI is branded as BC Builder Training, while in Ontario we are recognized as Training Ontario.
This position resides with the Professional Home Builders Institute (PHBI) and works alongside The Alberta New Home Warranty Program (ANHWP) and The New Home Warranty Insurance (Canada) Corporation (NHWICC).
The Alberta New Home Warranty Program Group of Companies ANHWP Group, is Alberta’s most experienced and most trusted new home warranty provider and educator for homebuilders. As Alberta’s leader in new home warranty products and services for over 45 years, we continue to raise the bar to meet the needs of homeowners and our Builder Members.
The Lead Instructor has proficiency in industry subject material and guides other professionals SMEs (subject matter experts) and instructors/facilitators to ensure that course content being developed and facilitated is accurate, relevant, and effective to support PHBI’s hands-on and practical learning experience.
The Lead Instructor will support the Education team in creating and/or updating assigned course content (sales, marketing, business, construction), materials, practice quizzes and exams to ensure they are technically sound and applicable to the industry.
Located in Calgary, AB or remotely within Canada
The primary responsibilities of the Lead Instructor are:
- Recruit and prepare contracts for SMEs and instructors/facilitators. Responsible for supporting PHBI’s national (Canada) footprint of education development and delivery from this perspective.
- Support the review and updating of existing course materials, practice quizzes and exams to match learning outcomes and industry best practices, including the support of developing new course materials as required.
- Evaluate and recommend new/updated content that meets or exceeds current standards (business, sales, marketing, construction), within established timelines.
- Review and revise existing content to ensure curriculum is of the highest quality.
- Collaborate as required with instructional designers and graphic designers.
- Recruit SME’s for industry relevant webinars and collaborate to develop content within established timelines.
- Provide regular status updates to the Education Manager including progress made and any obstacles encountered that may affect project deadlines.
- Participate in curriculum/program reviews.
- Support PHBI’s Education Advisory Committee. Recruit potential Education Advisory Committee members (across Canada), as required.
- Monitor and report on industry trends.
- Create and update train-the-trainer documentation/processes for inhouse, public, face-to-face and virtual classrooms offerings.
- Collaborate with marketing team to create industry relevant blogs, as required.
- Support Admissions team for customized training requirements – participate in scoping sessions, identify, and secure SME and/or Instructor, review and organize any customizations to the content and course materials within established timelines.
- Quality review of LMS and website content for course descriptions, class and instructor information.
- Observe and evaluate PHBI instructors/facilitators. Review student course completion surveys with instructors/facilitators and/or education team for continuous improvement.
- Collaborates with the education and admissions teams to support the scheduling of virtual and classroom delivery and facilitate delivery of classes, when applicable.
- Participates in hiring qualified SMEs and instructors/facilitators to support PHBI’s focus and commitment of providing the best educational material and experience.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Willingness to travel, as required.
Skills & experience
- Education: Complete diploma or degree in Construction or Education related field.
- Experience: at least 5 years of related industry experience or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Training and/or experience delivering training and/or education to adult learners and in recruiting.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- An exceptional communicator that conveys information clearly in written form.
- Soft skills: attention to detail, critical thinking and analytical ability, problem-solving and time management skills. Ability to self-manage, prioritize, interpersonal skills.
- Expert construction knowledge in the new home building industry.
Why you should join us
- The Alberta New Home Warranty Program Group of Companies offers challenging and meaningful work, a positive work environment with amazing colleagues. Our benefit package includes:
- Hybrid/remote work structure (our Remote Work Policy allows employees to work remote up to four days per week, based on operational needs)
- Annual short-term incentive pay (bonus program)
- Paid sick time and flex days
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Health Spending Account
- Pension plan (RPP company matching)
- On the job training
- Company events
- Progressive corporate culture that supports our greatest assets – our people
Join our team! Apply today
If you’re looking for a dynamic work environment, competitive employment conditions, and an opportunity to make a difference, we invite you to submit your cover letter and resume throughout your application. We thank all applicants for your interest in this role. Our People & Culture department will contact only those selected for an interview. Only candidates permitted to work in Canada will be considered for this opportunity.