Exams for online courses
If you're registered in an online course, you'll be required complete the entire course before taking the final exam.
To access your final exam, you must complete:
Please note: If you don't complete the requirements noted above, your exam cannot be accessed, even if you've scheduled the exam with a third-party proctor.
- Each online module, including assessments and quizzes
- The Course Evaluation Survey located in the course Survey section
Third party exam proctoring is required for all online exams
The cost of the proctor is not included in your course fees.
All courses have a minimum passing grade of 70%.
Exams are maximum of two hours in duration.
All BC Builder Training courses are closed book. The only course that requires a resource is the Building Codes & Relevant Enactments course and exam as students are required to reference the 2018 BC Building Code in order to complete the exam.
Exam rewrites are available within three months of completing an online course, at a cost of $50 + tax per rewrite. The fee must be paid in advance. A minimum of five business days’ notice prior to the exam date is required to schedule an exam.
If a student does not successfully complete the final exam for a BC Builder Training course, they have a maximum of two (2) additional exam rewrites before the course must be completed again.
Exam rewrites are not available for challenge exams.
Rescheduling an exam
If an exam must be rescheduled with less than five business days notice, a $50 + tax fee will apply. No fee will be charged to reschedule an exam when at least five business days advance notice has been provided.
Exam challenge or proficiency test
Students who feel they have proficiency in a given subject may choose to challenge BC Builder Training's third-party proctored Qualification (Core Competency) exam.
Students will not be provided access to course materials in order to prepare for the exam. The challenge exam was developed specifically for BC Builder Training course content, which aligns with BC Housing's learning outcomes for the subject area. A minimum of five business days’ notice prior to the exam date is required to schedule an exam.
Exam challenge participants will only be given one opportunity to pass a challenge exam with a minimum passing grade of 70% or greater.
No other challenge exam rewrites are permitted.
BC Housing will not award CPD credits for an exam challenge.
CPD Course Credit
Upon successful completion of the exam challenge, students will be eligible for a $100 credit* towards a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) course. Students must request the credit from PHBI within 3 months of successfully completing the exam challenge.
*One credit per CPD course. Minimum course price of $500. Credit must be redeemed within 18 months from the date the credit is received.
Live online exam proctoring
Effective January 14, 2020, BC Builder Training offers live online exam proctoring available 24/7 through ProctorU. This is a convenient and affordable way to complete your online exam from any location with Internet access, while a proctor monitors you remotely.
Examination fees are $30 USD (approximately $40 CDN) with special pricing available only through PHBI and BC Builder Training.
Only two hours advanced notice is required to book an exam through ProctorU. However, challenge exams and exam rewrites require five business days advance notice.
- a high-speed internet connection
- a Windows or Apple iOS operating system
- Chrome or Firefox web browser
- a government issued photo ID (driver's license or passport)
- a webcam (internal or external) and microphone
There's no complicated software required. ProctorU connects you to a real person who you can see and hear. This person will walk you through the exam process and assist if you experience technical difficulties.
Using ProctorU in four easy steps
[[start:accordion_header]]1. Create your account [[end:accordion_header]]
[[start:accordion_header]]2. Test your equipment [[end:accordion_header]]
Ensure you are using the current version of your browser.
- Download the ProctorU Extension:
- Available for Chrome
- Available for Firefox
- Test Your Equipment!
Please note: Chromebooks and iOS are not supported at this time.
[[start:accordion_header]]3. Schedule your exam [[end:accordion_header]]
- You are required to complete the full online course prior to writing the exam
- Click the Schedule the Exam link available in the Final Exam Module of your course
- Schedule and pay for the exam within 24 hours to avoid cancellation.
[[start:accordion_header]]4. Complete your exam[[end:accordion_header]]
- On the day of your exam, login to your account.
- Click on the Start Session button to be connected with an online proctor.
- The proctor will validate your identity, check the testing environment, review the rules and then start the exam.
- The proctor will monitor the session for any violations and will report to BC Builder Training if required.
- Once you submit your completed exam, the proctoring session ends.
In-person third-party proctoring
If you do not have the equipment required for a live proctored exam, in-person third party exam proctoring locations are available throughout the province. You will make arrangements with a proctor testing location to have the online exam proctored. Begin by reviewing the list of the current approved proctoring locations in all provinces.
Proctor fees not included in your course fees. You will pay your proctor directly for their services. Prices vary depending on location and company policy.
A minimum of five business days advance notice is required by BC Building Training to arrange in-person proctoring.
Steps for in-person proctoring
[[start:accordion_header]]1. Choose a recognized invigilation center [[end:accordion_header]]
- Ensure you choose an invigilation center that can accommodate online exams
- If you reside in another province, please email us to find an approved proctor location near you.
[[start:accordion_header]]2. Contact the invigilation center[[end:accordion_header]]
- Contact the invigilation center of your choice.
- Plan your exam on a weekday, Monday to Friday, between 7 am and 3 pm.
[[start:accordion_header]]4. Pay the administration fees[[end:accordion_header]]
Pay the $50 administration fee through the Registration tab if you are:
- scheduling an exam rewrite
- rescheduling your exam within 5 business days of the originally scheduled exam date
- Note: If you've not paid the administration fee one day prior to your exam rewrite or rescheduled exam, your exam will not be scheduled.
[[start:accordion_header]]4. Complete and send your Proctor Form[[end:accordion_header]]
- Complete page 1 of your Proctor Form
- Send the invigilation center the Proctor Form (with page 1 already filled out and a scanned copy of two pieces of your photo ID) and request that they:
- fill out page 2 the Proctor Form
- email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than five business days prior to the exam date
Fees vary, depending on location and company policy.
Prior to scheduling your final exam, you're required to complete all online course modules, assessments and your course evaluation survey.