Exams for online coursesIf you're registered in an online course, you'll be required complete the entire course before taking the final exam.
To access your final exam, you must complete:
- Each online module, including assessments and quizzes.
Third party exam proctoring is required for all online examsThe cost of the proctor is not included in your course fees.
Passing gradesAll courses have a minimum passing grade of 70%.
Exam lengthExams are maximum of two hours in duration.
Exam materialAll BC Builder Training courses are closed book. The only course that requires a resource is the Building Codes & Relevant Enactments course and exam as students are required to reference the 2018 BC Building Code in order to complete the exam.
For the Financial Planning & Management Final Exam, you will be allowed to use a single scrap piece of paper as well as a Four Function Calculator or Financial Calculator (no online calculators are allowed).
Exam rewrites are available within three months of completing an online course, at a cost of $50 + tax per rewrite. The fee must be paid in advance. A minimum of five business days’ notice prior to the exam date is required to schedule an exam.
If a student does not successfully complete the final exam for a BC Builder Training course, they have a maximum of two (2) additional exam rewrites before the course must be completed again.
Exam rewrites are not available for challenge exams.
Rescheduling an examIf an exam must be rescheduled with less than five business days notice, a $50 + tax fee will apply. No fee will be charged to reschedule an exam when at least five business days advance notice has been provided.
Exam challenge or proficiency testIndividuals who have completed an equivalent course with another training provider, or feel they have proficiency in the subject matter may choose to take BC Builder Training's proctored challenge exam.
The challenge exam was developed to reflect BC Builder Training's course content, which aligns with BC Housing's competency requirements for specific subject areas. By successfully passing this challenge exam, students will meet their BC Housing qualification requirements for BC's core competency.
Students will not be provided access to course materials in order to prepare for the exam. The challenge exam was developed specifically for BC Builder Training course content, which aligns with BC Housing's learning outcomes for the subject area. A minimum of five business days’ notice prior to the exam date is required to schedule an exam.
Exam challenge participants will only be given one opportunity to pass a challenge exam with a minimum passing grade of 70% or greater.
No other challenge exam rewrites are permitted.
BC Housing will not award CPD credits for an exam challenge.
CPD Course Credit
Upon successful completion of the exam challenge, students will be eligible for a $100 credit* towards a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) course. Students must request the credit from PHBI within 3 months of successfully completing the exam challenge.
*One credit per CPD course. Minimum course price of $500. Credit must be redeemed within 18 months from the date the credit is received.
Test online with ProctorU
As of Monday, Feb. 1, 2021 BC Builder Training will begin offering live online exams available 24/7 through our online exam proctoring partner, ProctorU. This is a convenient and affordable way to complete your online exam from any location with internet access, while a proctor monitors you remotely. You're now able to start and finish all of your courses with BC Builder Training!
How to get started
Windows or Apple iOS operating system
Government-issued identification (driver's license or passport)
How to schedule your ProctorU final exam
Your final exam will be locked until you complete your online course. Once you have completed your course, you can schedule a date and time with ProctorU to take your exam.
1. Access your course through our myPHBI learning management system.
2. From the 'Resource' tab, click the 'Open' button to schedule your online ProctorU final exam.
3. Click 'Sign in and accept with existing user account'. You must have your ProctorU account already signed up using the instructions outlined above.
4. Enter your credentials to sign in.
5. Click on 'Accept invitation and schedule exam now'.
6. In the Schedule Session page, select a date and time for your exam.
- Click on the desired date in the calendar
- Click on ‘Find Available Times’
- Select the desired time from the available list (up to 2 hours notice is required)
7. Click on 'Schedule' to confirm.
8. Click on 'Proceed to Cart'. The cost of the exam is $30 USD (price subject to change without notice).
9. Click on 'Proceed to Payment'.
10. Enter your credentials and click on 'Process Charge'. A reservation confirmation and receipt will be emailed to you.
If you have any questions or encounter difficulties, contact ProctorU at 1.855.772.8678 or email email@example.com.
How to take your ProctorU final exam
1. Login to your ProctorU account. Make sure you are also logged into your myPHBI student account.
2. Click 'Start Session'.
3. Follow the proctor instructions.